Fire Safety

http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/vicinio/dsp-images/scott.schaffer/asset1_3/1470673176507.png
The very best fire safety is fire prevention. It's important when cooking, or starting a fire in a fireplace, or using a space heater, to always be aware of the dangers and practice smart safety tips. Always read the directions of any equipment the first time you use it, and take precautions to avoid accidents - such as not allowing children to light candles or cook alone. Install a fire alarm in every room of the house and test it periodically to be sure it is working.

House Fires
House fires are one of the most feared and devastating disasters a family can face. They can occur at any time and get out of control quickly. That's why it's important that the entire family is trained (where age appropriate) to use a fire extinguisher, and how to get out of the house during a fire.

Regular fire drills should be the norm in a house full of children. Children who are trained how to get to safety during a house fire are much more likely to survive than those who are not trained. Teach them if they catch their clothing on fire to stop, drop and roll.

During everyday life events, sometimes people are burned or scalded. This can happen in the kitchen and in the bathroom.

Kitchens
Always be extra careful when boiling water or handling hot foods. If possible, cook on the back burner and turn handles away from the counter edge to stop little children from grabbing or you from accidentally hitting it and knocking it over. In addition, use dry potholders; wet ones will transfer the heat. Never open a hot food container toward your face because the pressure will cause it to spit. Never heat bottles in the microwave.

Bathroom
If your hot water is too hot, readjust it. It should not be set higher than 140° F with an anti-scale mechanism installed to deliver the water at a lower temperature. You need the higher setting to avoid bacteria in the water heater. Teach children which is hot and which is cold and tell younger children not to turn the hot on without your help.

If you do get a scald or a burn, the best treatment is to run it under cool water. If you are badly burned, cover the burn with a clean cloth to avoid infection, and seek immediate medical attention. If your fabric is burned into the skin, don't remove it; seek attention immediately. If a child has blisters from a scald it is best to seek medical attention.

Carbon Monoxide
There is also a risk in your home that you may not realize. It's carbon monoxide. The problem with this gas is that you cannot smell it, and you will not know it exists. But, a family can die while sleeping because it will cause headaches, dizziness, confusion, nausea and fainting. If you are in bed when this happens you may not wake up to save yourself. This is why in addition to a fire alarm installed in your home you should have a carbon monoxide detector, too.

Fire Safety

0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment test